Monday, August 17, 2009

Spurgeon, Study, and Spiritual Diets


I am beginning to realize how difficult it is to overcome our preconceptions (or predispositions) about the spiritual life. For the last few years I have been on a path that has taken me away from my evangelical past. But, as I move forward in Orthodoxy I can look back over my shoulder and see methods and thoughts from the past that are still hanging around. One that leaps out is putting too much trust and emphasis on study.


Reading and studying are important. There are few things I would rather do than read a good book. And, coming into the Orthodox life, it is important to read the church fathers, the scriptures, and those more contemporary writers who are recognized as having something to say to a modern Orthodox community. A temptation is to think that reading a book somehow conveys the perceived spirituality of the writer upon the reader. Years ago, I read a book by the famous English Baptist preacher, Charles H. Spurgeon. It was entitled, "Humility and How to Get It". I joked that I read the book, but that it hadn't worked. Sadly, reading the treasures of Orthodoxy could be equally ineffective without living the Orthodox life.


I have become a great fan of the books of Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos. In his book, "The illness and cure of the soul in the Orthodox tradition" he emphasizes that it is not enough to be a part of the externals of the spiritual life if one expects to receive the healing of soul that comes through the church. Rather, one must come to experience the inner aspects of the faith, an ascetic lifestyle that leads from purification of the heart, to illumination of the nous, to deification.


In other words, there is a time honored way to come to know God. It is not a philosophy, it is not a religion, it is not an ideology, and it is not a method. The way is found in that spiritual hospital known as the Orthodox Church. The therapy that leads from purification to illumination to deification includes partaking of the Body and Blood of Christ, but it also involves making a decision to live the ascetic life under the authority of a spiritual father.


It is not enough for me to read the books of Orthodoxy. It's not enough to go to an Orthodox seminary, or even get a degree. Having the information deposited in my brain is not enough. I have to appropriate what is said. It's like reading a diet book. Reading the diet book won't help my weight control. I have to read the book and then start eating the way the book describes. And, I have to do it over a long amount of time, not over a day or a weekend, and certainly not when I feel like it. This is ascesis, this is discipline.


I'm learning that study (which has it's place) is more of a western than eastern concept. Orthodoxy is experiential, not intellectual per se. Granted, there have been some intellectual heavyweights who have written some of the foundational books of the faith. But, their illumination, and their vision of God's uncreated light is what makes them spiritually relevant, not their intellect. Living the spiritual life (actually praying, actually fasting, actually almsgiving, actually hoping in God's mercy) on a consistent, minute by minute basis, is essential therapy for my soul. That is what the great writers of the faith have done, and that is what we must do. Without turning away from the junk in my life, and turning toward the kingdom of heaven I will never be the person that God wants me to be. None of us will. Reading and studying is not enough. Living the life, and trusting in God's mercy is the only way.

4 comments:

  1. I am curious: how did Spurgeon propose to get humility?
    Great analogy with the diet book. I agree that too much emphasis is given in the west to study, however, study also has its place - otherwise why have the Bible and sunday school? I read that apophaticism is a ladder up to God and cataphaticism is like a ladder down - more like a description of the life in God - such as what we see in Holy scripture. And of course, reason is not the primary way to union. It's hard to go up the escalator that is going down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting... It is refreshing to read about, in some aspects, your journey and views into Orthodoxy. Thank you so much for sharing.

    In the case of Maria’s reading, I would offer the question, "What if you didn't have a ladder?" One can look to Saint Gregory of Nazianzus for another view into apophaticism and cataphaticism. Saint Gregory offers that a soul needs both in their journey. He argues that a positive affirmation about God can set someone’s mind with an answer about God, while an unbroken chain of negations may at times lead one away from Him. He also gives you a synergistic view between the two theories, in that an apophatic approach without cataphatic theology may lead nowhere.

    In contrast to the ladder, I’ll offer another analogy; one could look at this as the house of mortal life with only 2 floors. While living on the 1st floor cataphatic theology plays a major role in your development of illumination. When you have a firm understanding about the positives of God then you are permitted to live on the 2nd floor. Once you move to the 2nd floor you are considered prepared and can move onto apophatic theology and its preeminent qualities.

    While both is acceptable, if you were in an escalator and someone asked you your opinion about God, would you answer with "God is love" or "God is not hate"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no question that we need to study--formally in classrooms, informally with spiritual fathers, monastics, etc. But, having said all that,m I'll cast my course with St. Symeon the New, Gregory Palamas, and those of that tradition. Wisdom is vindicated by her children.
    And, there is a need to emphasize hesychia and ascesis in our day because we are overwhelmed with scholasticism and a stress on filling our head with (albeit) good spiritual things.

    Oh- the escalator: Perhaps another answer would be: He's transcendent..
    Thanks for all the great comments. That smell you smell is the sawdust igniting in my head from thinking about it all... :)

    ReplyDelete